The start of the year is a time where you can reflect on the finished year and look ahead to new things you want to achieve in the new year. As a guitarist, there are so many different paths you can take and many things you can achieve. If you haven’t already considered what you want to achieve with guitar in 2012, here’s some suggestions for you:
- Try teaching guitar and earn some money
- Build your own guitar from scratch (or a kit if you aren’t familiar with working with wood)
- Learn to write your own Guitar TAB
- Take the plunge and post a video of your playing to YouTube (turn off comments if you fear criticism)
- Learn 50 basic open chords using a pack of flash cards
- Write your own song and record it (remember to start simple!)
- Learn to play in an alternate tuning you have never used before
- Learn a couple songs in a style you would never consider (eg: Flamenco, Country, Islander, Death Metal)
If you can tick some of these items off your list you will grow significantly as a player. Many guitarists would never consider half of these ideas so if you have the guts to give them a go you will already be pushing ahead of the pack. It’s your choice. Don’t hold back. Make 2012 your year.
Any other ideas or goals for your guitar playing in 2012? Put them in writing in the comment section below, you are more likely to succeed if you actually say you will do it.