This lesson on the tempomusicards.com website shows you in very simple terms how you can learn to write your own strumming patterns or rhythm that can be used in so many ways. The lesson will teach you the symbols for all the different note and rest types then show you how simple it is to write your own patterns.
This is a powerful skill that once learned can be used anytime you come up with an idea for a song. You could be sitting on a bus and think of a strumming pattern then properly write it down so you won’t forget it. Below is a short list showing some of the things you can do once you learn this skill:
- Write strumming patterns for chord progressions
- Transcribe strumming patterns from songs by ear
- Learn to play along with a drummer
- Give drummers ideas for beats and patterns
- Add an interesting rhythm to your licks and melodies
- Write riffs that are focused on a rhythm pattern